Here’s our List of Crete’s Top 10 Dishes!
#Crete is renowned for its culinary magnificence. Here are the top 10 Cretan delicacies we have rounded up for you.
1. Cretan ‘Dakos’ | Our all-time favourite – it’s “simple yet satisfying”. A traditional Cretan meze: barley rusk topped with chopped tomatoes and crumbled feta or local ‘Mizithra’ cheese.
2. Chochlioi ‘Bourbouristi’ | In Crete, snails, also known as ‘chochlioi’, have been an integral part of the gastronomic culture since ancient times. Usually served fried, or ‘boubouristi’, which means ‘face-down’ in the Cretan dialect and refers to the way the snails are cooked.
3. Traditional ‘Gamopilafo’ or ‘Wedding’ Pilaf | A type of Cretan Risotto, typically served at weddings and festivals. This dish consists of meat and poultry accompanied by rice, which has been cooked in the meat broth.
4. Stuffed Squash Flowers (‘Kolokithoanthous’) | A unique and delicious dish – an ideal choice for our vegan friends.
5. Fresh Handmade Cretan Pasta (‘Skioufihta’) | Delicious past, best when served with local ‘Anthotyro’ cheese.
6. ‘Boureki’ from Chania | A zucchini and potato gratin.
7. ‘Sfakiani’ Pita | A sweet delicacy originating from the village of Scalia. It is a cheese stuffed flatbread drizzled with local honey.
8. ‘Apaki’ Smoked Cretan Pork
9. ‘Stamnankáthi’ | Boiled herbs served with fresh lemon. A super healthy and unique option as these herbs are indigenous to the island.
10. Fried ‘Graviera’ Cheese Saganaki | Enjoy with a glass of ice cold Cretan ‘raki’.
We hope you get to enjoy these special flavors soon! ❤️🍅🍊🍯🥟🍖🧀🧅